Sunday, March 4, 2012

"But still I hadn't dreamt nothing about me and Ed until the end. And this was cloudier cause it was years, years away. But I saw an old couple being visited by their children, and all their grandchildren too. The old couple weren't screwed up. And neither were their kids or their grandkids. And I don't know. You tell me. This whole dream, was it wishful thinking? Was I just fleeing reality like I know I'm liable to do? But me and Ed, we can be good too. And it seemed real. It seemed like us and it seemed like, well, our home. If not Arizona, then a land not too far away. Where all parents are strong and wise and capable and all children are happy and beloved. I don't know. Maybe it was Utah." -H.I. McDunnough "Raising Arizona"

Last night I slept in Phoenix after a short drive and a long hike. I joined a swarm of locals summiting this mini-mountain, and got a few interesting photos out of the endeavor.


I rose early to hit the Desert Botanical Gardens, a 100+ acre preserve in the middle of the city. They had some pieces on display by Dale Chihuly, the famous glass artist. Much more significantly, it was the opening day for their butterfly exhibit. A good chance to practice with my 85mm telephoto.







After the butterflies, I drove the couple hours down to Tucson. I'm having a great trip, I really am, but finding it difficult to strike at the heart of America. Somewhere between the ink in my skin, or the metal in my ears, or some other superficial thing about me, there lies an impulse to frown and walk away in silence when I grin and say hello. I'm trying to not make others bitterness my own, but it's difficult. As a friend told me today, everywhere you go there are people who are good and people who are not so. 

I did however meet an incredibly pleasant man from Scottsdale and his wife, who he affectionately called "My Brooklyn Jew." Yes, really. 

Although, to be fair, we WERE talking about bargaining…

We started talking cameras and my trip to SE Asia came up (see June-Sept 2011 in this blogs history). He asked where I'd travelled and I told him. He told me he'd been to all those countries, but under "slightly different circumstances." He was a service member.

"But NOT Laos," he said, smiling and winking. Soldiers were often stationed in Laos, weaving across the border with Vietnam. But since we weren't allowed to be there, they were often lied to about border lines, or told to lie about it themselves.

Definitely my best "friends of the road" so far.

        This Painted Lady identified itself! It clearly 
      wants to make babies with that pamphlet.

Oh right. Tucson.

Well I booked a lovely room overlooking the freeway and smelling of sweaty feet, and I'm trying to decide between a nap to ward off my sinus headache, and smoking some meth and hitting a strip club. Really fucking light a fire under this strike-at-the-heart-of-America project. After all, the spirit of Tucson is the spirit of America. All I'm missing is a .45 and a bible. 

What am I saying! This is a cheap motel room! Thanks Gideons!

Have you heard the fucking terrible news? 


The photo on their homepage of the old guy leering over the young girls shoulder as she reads her bible just kinda says it all for me.

No, but really, religion is great. I'm just having fun with (fuck) you. Planning to hit a evangelical church for Sunday service in rural Texas. In a cheap tweed suit, if all goes to plan. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

Too cynical to live, too stubborn to die.

Pray for me.

Your brother in Christ,
-Isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment